Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ice and Crunch

Date: Jan 27 Tues
Weather: 30F
Mileage: 2 (Monocog)
January mileage: 342
Year to date: 342

Damn, damn, damn. What at one time was to be a fine snow storm, which always lends to fine riding opportunities. Instead it has descended into the chaos of an ice storm, with freezing rain falling all day and now into the night. Sitting and watching our local channels (Satellite 2 not coming in) we can hear the crackle and crash of limbs falling in our area.

I ventured out for a ride today, figuring that I've ridden through a variety of conditions. What I found was either thick, dense slush on the side streets like my own. I would immediately sink down and have to churn through it like a 'cross sand trap. The more traveled roads were a bit more passable. At one time I was even having to pedal downhill just to cut through the slush and ice. I did pretty well to go to the grocery, which is an amazing 1 mile away! On the return I found a local minor artery to be a 15-ft wide sheet of ever freezing ice. I'm pleased to have ridden home with 1 bag of bagels and turkey balanced on the left and another bag with a gallon of milk balanced on the right. What deft handling.

This sucks. We'll be out again, but it's a dark and brooding, grim even, "snow" day. Ice days suck!

No comments:

Post a Comment