Friday, January 2, 2009

Eastern Meander

Date: Jan 2 Fri
Weather: 45F
Mileage: 22 (LHT)
January mileage: 54
Year to date: 54

This is the first post on a new blog I've decided to create; in fact, I decided to create it on said ride today. My first blog, tex's luavull cycling, needs something fresh. While I do offer some interesting insight herenthere, I think my readers sometimes get tired of reading, "I commuted today, yada yada yada." As such, this blog is intended to be as much for me as for anybody. I'll jot down my rides and commutes and occasionally offer some extra nuggets of fun. My other blog will meander more in the direction of advocacy, or at least as a compendium of bike-related information about the Louisville area. If I undertake a particularly adventurous local ride, I'll blog there b/c I might have found something interesting for the local cycling community. and that's that.

Today's ride was slow and meandering, beginning in Cherokee (and being passed by some nice roadies on 'cross bikes, one of which motioned some road debris for me, Thanks), then through random streets in St. Matthews. From there I decided that I needed to see how the other half lives, so I made my way paralleling Lexington rd. to take in the big houses this time of year. They are so opulent and impressive, but I can't imagine changing my life enough to own one. I don't want to; I just like them aesthetically.

My route took me down to the Beargrass Trail and downtown by the ballpark. There I did a little reconnoitering @ Blue Mountain Coffeehouse. In mentally planing the first River City Cycling Society ride I thought of place to eat downtown and this one came to mind. I had never visited it, so today I stopped by for a casual coffee and visit. From 1st impressions it seems a little over-priced and "hoity-toity" for a bunch of sweaty cyclists, but it does serve coffee and snacks and is downtown. Unfortunately it is not open on Sundays right now, so that's another strike against it for a Sunday RCCS ride.

From there, with coffee mostly drunk, I headed home via the Highlands and the B'town alley before finishing with a spirited mid-traffic big-ring hammer down B'town. Damn, I love to outspeed the cars there. It was a very lowkey, relaxed ride and a perfect way to "do therapy" for 2 hours. And as with some previous ride thinking, I'm getting closer to materializing the RCCS concept. All systems go.

No comments:

Post a Comment